Press "Enter" to skip to content

First Sewage Treatment Plant of Ladakh to become operational by August

Last Updated on May 27, 2021 at 8:12 pm

Commissioner Secretary, Ajeet Kumar Sahu made a site visit to review the ongoing development works being executed by Housing & Urban Development Department in Leh town.

During the tour of the town, he inspected the work at 3 MLD Sewage Treatment Plant, site of the proposed commercial building site of MC Leh, Water Supply Plant at Choglamsar and Multi-Tier Parking site at Pologround. He was accompanied by Director, Urban Local Bodies, Ladakh Zahida Bano; Nissar Hussain Kakpori, SE, PWD, Leh and Mohd Ali PHE besides officers and officials from various departments.

Commissioner Secretary Ladakh Ajeet Kumar Sahu

Commissioner Secretary, Sahu was informed that the Rs 13.78 crores project of Sewage Treatment Plant (STP) is of 3 MLD (3 million litres per day) capacity and based on SBR technology. 99% of the civil works of the project have been completed. Around 60-70% of the electromechanical component/ equipment have also procured and reached the site while the remaining 30% of material is on the way. Sahu instructed the concerned officials to start the installation of the mechanical components within a week and complete it by or before July end so that the STP is made fully operational by 15 August.

It was further informed that 61.60 km of sewer line has already been laid covering most of the Leh Town to feed the STP. Sahu asked the concerned engineers to inspect the whole sewer line immediately as few complaints of leakages have been received and complete the repair/restoration work immediately and in all cases before completion of the STP.

He further directed the Director H&UDD to start the plantation drive in STP land in coordination with the Forest and Horticulture Department to cover the whole area with suitable plants. He also asked to construct a small model for demonstration and educational purposes. For the lower part of the site, he directed the concerned officials to prepare the DPR for the reuse of treated water for recreational and irrigation purposes. He asked the Director H&UDD to prepare a list of all the pending issues including the manpower need and preparation of Operation Manuals to ensure the operationalization of the plant within the stipulated time. He also asked the officers to procure a few additional suction tankers to cover the area not having the sewage network, considering the higher capacity of the STP.

Later, the Commissioner Secretary inspected the Dambuchan site where the Municipal Committee is planning to construct a commercial complex. He asked the concerned to immediately tender the work so that work is started on the ground soon. 

While inspecting the lift water supply scheme of Leh town at Choglamsar, Commissioner Secretary asked the SE to float the tender early for the work of preparing DPR for filtration plant for all the water supply schemes of Leh town and 24×7 water supply to all households of the town. He also directed to identify the leakage points promptly and repair the same on a regular basis.

Thereafter, Sahu inspected the ongoing multi-tier parking at Pologround and expressed concern about the slow progress of the work. He asked the Director H&UDD to immediately issue notice to JKPCC for the delay and call the contractor on site to submit their schedule of execution. The six-storey parking, coming up at an estimated cost of Rs 27 crore under AMRUT will play a vital role in the decongestion of vehicular traffic in Leh town besides providing a convenient driving ambience for the people.